Monday, January 29, 2007

Big Eyes, Small Mouth, Miniscule Time


Big Eyes Small Mouth began as a 90 page Anime/Manga RPG. It used a simple 3 stat system (Body, Mind, Soul) and tried hard to emulate any anime/manga one could imagine. And, as a bonus, Guardians of Order was Canadian to boot. Well, as you might well imagine, people who loved this game clamored for more and several supplements later, a larger second edition came out and now the long-awaited (these games all seem to be long-awaited, don't they?) third edition has finally been released in all its full-colour, hard-covered glory. It almost didn't make it and was saved from the bankruptcy and collapse of Guardians of Order by White Wolf itself (under its Arthaus label).

So, I picked it up, and although it looks nice, I probably won't play it. Why not? Probably for the same reason as I've never played any of the other editions - I'm just not as big an anime / manga fan as I probably should be (and I own or have seen my fair share of the stuff - Miyazaki, Lain are my favorites) to run/play this game and the GM has to worldbuild something from scratch.

If you like anime and manga, this is probably the game for you. From a quick overview, the game looks solid and not too different from the second edition (it's said that any 2nd ed characters will need tweaking, however) and competes with GURPS in character design options. Give it a whirl if the subject matter appeals to you.

No comments: